Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Step Six: The Final Recipe


My last attempt at making a yummy recipe comes in the form of cinnamon nut cookies. The concept came from a healthier version of the cookies I made back in October for my one year vegan anniversary. Reflecting back, I mentioned that they seemed too oily, so my first modification was to replace half of the oil with apple sauce. I decided not to replace all of it with apple sauce because of what Therese said about altering the chemistry of the recipe. I feel like I don’t know enough about the mechanics of food preparation to be sure that replacing apple sauce for oil will not cause a flaw in the overall result. Replacing only half seemed like a safer bet.

I decided not to make chocolate chip cookies as an afterthought. My recipe and the original recipe seemed way too similar to call it my own if I kept everything the same except for adding a little bit of apple sauce. Part of my reasoning for using nuts revolved around newfound knowledge that Therese shared about toasting nuts. It turns out, nuts will keep better raw but taste better toasted, so it’s better to buy them raw then toast them yourself for recipes. Also, apple sauce seems like a healthier alternative to oil, and nuts seem like a healthier alternative to chocolate.

To differentiate my two batches, I made one with almonds and one with pecans. I honestly expected them to taste basically the same with one tasting like almonds and the other tasting like pecans, but they are significantly different. One of them seems cakey and the other is thinner and chewier. I wish I understood what caused the difference. It will be interesting to see if my classmates notice a bigger difference than the type of nut.


Note: The photos are left over from my visit to Alon's yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment